Granola is one of my all time favourite breakfast choices. Paired with fresh, whole milk yogurt and fresh fruit is absolute heaven…
Granola is one of my all time favourite breakfast choices. Paired with fresh, whole milk yogurt and fresh fruit is absolute heaven. I’ve been making my own granola for a while now and have never looked back. Freshly baked, warm out of the oven with a lot of toppings just can’t be beat by a store bought alternative. If you’re like me, and want the ratio of “goodies” i.e. fruits, nuts to be at least 1:2 to oats – you’re going to love this!
This granola uses maple syrup and coconut oil for natural sweetness which can be adjusted to your tastes. Because it contains nuts and seeds – natures energy capsules – this is quite filling, nutritious and calorie dense.Customise your granola with your own choice of dried fruits, nuts, seeds and spices to achieve your perfect combo.
- 3 cups Organic Rolled Oats
- 1/3 cup seeds: pumpkin, sunflower, pepitas
- 1/3 cup: dehydrated banana slices
- 1/2 cup dried fruit: cranberries, raisins and figs (chopped if necessary)
- 1/3 cup nuts: macadamia, almond, walnuts (chopped if necessary)
- 1/4 cup 70% cocoa dark chocolate chips or raw cacao nibs
- 1 tbsp organic chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 1 tbsp organic ground cinnamon
- 4 tbsp organic coconut oil
- 4 tbsp apple-cinnamon maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 120 degrees celsius.
- Pour all ingredients except the dark chocolate chips into a large sized bowl and combine well.
- Spread the mixture into a thin, even layer on a baking sheet. (Do separate batches if necessary - a thin layer ensures a crunchy, evenly toasted granola).
- Place the baking pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove pan from the oven. Mix and toss the granola, rotate the pan and bake for another 15 minutes. Repeat until granola is completely dry and light golden brown (around 1 hour total).
- Allow mixture to cool and then stir in dark chocolate chips. Store into an air tight container.